Serving Those Who Served Our Country

No matter what branch of the military you were in, as veterans you served our country in times of war and in times of peace to ensure that all Americans enjoy the freedoms that our country was built upon. Today, our military personnel continue to sacrifice their time and sometimes even their lives to uphold the liberties that are a part of the framework of our country.

We are proud to serve veterans who fought to uphold our country's freedoms and for those military personnel and their families today who are serving in the U.S. and abroad.

Types of Inscribed Headstones and Markers for Veterans' Graves

Flat markers are available in bronze, granite or marble. Upright headstones come in granite or marble. In national cemeteries, the style chosen must be consistent with existing monuments at the place of burial. Niche markers are available to mark columbaria used for inurnment of cremated remains.

Headstones and markers previously provided by the government may be replaced at the governments expense if badly deteriorated, illegible, vandalized or stolen. To check the status of an application for a headstone or marker for a national or state veterans cemetery, call the cemetery.

Inscription: Headstones and markers must be inscribed with the name of the deceased, branch of service, and year of birth and death. They also may be inscribed with other markings, including an authorized emblem of belief and, space permitting, additional text including military rank; war service such as World War II, complete dates of birth and death; military awards; military organizations; civilian or veteran affiliations; and words of endearment.

Headstone for a Private Cemetery

To apply for a headstone or marker for a private cemetery, mail a completed VA Form 40-1330 (available at, Application for Standard Government Headstone or Marker for Installation in a Private Cemetery or a State Veterans Cemetery, and a copy of the veteran's military discharge document and death certificate to Memorial Programs Service (41A1), Department of Veterans Affairs, 5109 Russell Rd., Quantico, VA 22134-3903. Or fax documents to 1-800-455-7143.

Presidential Memorial Certificates Issued to Next of Kin Upon Request

Certificates are issued upon request to recognize the military service of honorably discharged deceased veterans. Next of kin, relatives and friends may request them in person at any VA regional office or by mail: Presidential Memorial Certificates (41A1C), Department of Veterans Affairs, 5109 Russell Rd., Quantico, VA 22143-3903 or fax documents to 202-565-8054. The following link provides the request form: Presidential Memorial Certificate Request Form

If you’re looking for additional information, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has the answers you are looking for.

Here are a few links to get you started:

Survivor Benefits
Cemetery Services
Burial Benefits
Presidential Memorial Certificates
Nationwide Gravesite Locator
Burial Flags

​Need additional assistance? Contact VA

How do I establish veteran eligibility for military funeral honors?

This is established by providing the DD Form 214 to the funeral home.

If the veteran has lost his or her DD Form 214 it may be obtained by filling out a Standard Form 180 and sending it to:

National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132

The Standard Form 180 may be obtained by filling out the hard copy request form which we have placed below in the link from the National Records Center: The Standard Form 180

The following link allows you to request DD214/Separation Documents Online: Request Your Military Service Records

Veterans are entitled to the following:

- Flag presentation
- Playing of Taps
- Presidential Memorial Certificate
- Patriot Guard Riders of NY